Friday, July 06, 2007

All City Coffee t-shirt design

The guys at All City Coffee asked me and four other artists to contribute a design for their new line of custom tee shirts. The assignment- do any design you want, as long as it has the All City logo. All five tees were on sale last night at the All City coffee shop in Pioneer square for First Thursday. There was also live art done by the four artists that designed the shirts. All in all, it was good times.
Anyway, here are a few pencil roughs for the t -shirt. The above sketch is actually two in one. The bottom right is a small 2"x3" thumbnail that I decided to go off of. I did some bigger sized sketches of that little design, trying to work out different design elements. I think the original idea kind of got lost when I edited out all the design-y crap.

To me the All City vibe is always about good music. When those guys throw a party, the vinyl is in full effect and asses are shakin. Also, the one way to tell if someone isn't from Georgetown, where the first All City Coffe shop started, is if they look up at the planes that fly over. All City is near the edge of Boeing field, and they get everything from small bi-planes to big ass army jets flying over head.
If you're from the neighborhood, and a big loud plane flies over, you shut up and drink your coffee and wait 'till it passes before you finish your conversation. If your not from the 'hood, you rubberneck.


Here's' a closer version to the final. The most challenging part about this design was picking the colors. While doing it, I realized that I never did any t-shirts that were more than one color. Not being able to control exactly what the t-shirt color was or the PMS colors drove me crazy. I did get a chance to see the shirts last night for the first time, and I was pretty pleased with the results.

2 comments:

RobSchwager said...

me LIKEY!!!!

Redneck'N'Paradise said...

That work is awesome guys! As a custom chopper shop owner i'm always looking for good artist. Any interest in doing some shirts and a cut out for us here at Guilty Customs? Contact me directly at info@guiltycustoms.com. Great work!